Home

Reviews

About Me

Spring 2021 Dramas (Japan & Korea)

by - 4/25/2021 12:09:00 AM

 I think it has been a while since I write review of dramas I'm watching.
This time, since most Japanese dorama only has 1-2 episodes,
I think it can be said that this is only a preview.
This season, I'm watching many animes, so I don't have much time to watch dramas.
But this season's J-doramas are the best after almost a year or so!


After Watashi tachi wa Douka Shiteiru, I had watched some dramas.
Either K or J-drama.
But I didn't feel satisfied and too many plotholes.
There was no drama could give me anticipation to watch every week.
I watched Oh! My Boss! Koi wa Bessatsu de, Edo Moiselle ~Reiwa de Koi, Itashinsu~,
Cinderella ha Online Chu! (remake of Love 020), Shanai Marriage Honey,
Uchi no Musume ha, Kareshi ga Dekinai!!, Mocomi, Marry Me!, etc.
For K-drama, I watched True Beauty (just for funny moments),
Mr. Queen (funny but there are many plotholes).
But there was none to interest my thirst for good film.
But this spring 2021, two J-doramas has the best outline for me,
of course with the comeback from Ishihara Satomi and Yokohama Ryusei.
I won't write too many opening, so let's get started:


01. Koi ha Deep ni (恋はDeepに)
 

You can watch Koi ha Deep ni through Wetv apps (browser or phone).
I know the subs is not the best there.
There were some dialogues which could not get translated.
But the apps is the fastest to air it now.
When I write this, only 2 episodes has been aired.

This looks like Ariel's story in modern timeline, up to episode 2.
Nagisa Mio (Ishihara Satomi) was found naked in the seashore by an
old man, Kamoi Tadashi (Hashimoto Jun).
He is an oceanographer, made Mio to work at the same field after that.
She could communicate with fishes and other sea beings.
It seems her purpose to come to the land is to stop the development
of the resort's and its sea tower, made by Hasuda family.
Upon stopping the development, she met Hasuda Rintaro (Go Ayano),
a clever but only the second son of Hasuda, the leader of resort's project.
So in Hasuda family, he must fight with his older brother, Kotaro (Ohtani Ryohei)
and his younger brother Eitaro (Watanabe Keisuke) as the heir.
But Rintaro acted coldly towards Mio, although she had saved his life from the sea.
What will happen in the future?
Will Mio successfully stop the resort's development and find her love?
Or will she must go back (to the sea / her past town)?
I think she is a being from sea because sometimes, the fishes asked her
of her true goal and she is afraid of height.
But I don't know if Nagisa Mio is a supernatural being or just a person with crazy thoughts
of listening to animals (similar dorama is Mocomi: Kanojo Chotto Hendakedo).


Ishihara Satomi acts nicely here.
In some of her past project, she became a wild, naughty and crazy lady.
But after Midori, she used to be normal.
Though I also like her past acting.
She is now more mature, maybe after getting married?
Meanwhile, I have watched Go Ayano before in Frankenstein's Love
and Ajin, where he always had sad or mysterious face.
But here, his reactions were refreshing and sometimes funny.
When I saw their promotional picture,
I didn't think they have chemistry.
I don't know, their face looks uncompatible, especially Go Ayano in a comedy.
But after watching the drama, I became used to it and they will built romance!
Don't forget there is Imada Mio here as Mio's co-worker Miyamae Aika.
She is so cute with big eyes.



02. Kikazaru Koi ni ha Riyuu ga Atte (着飾る恋には理由があって)
 

Furritsu subs has made english subs for this dorama in her livejournal.
And if you understand Indonesian, bagikuy made a subs for the hulu's side story,
Kikazaranai Koi ni ha Riyuu ga Atte.


This is Yokohama Ryusei's comeback in TV after Watadou.
I think he's healing himself after COVID-19, but he's still promoting
his movie before Kikazaru, Kimi no Me ga Toikakete Iru.
 Kikazaru is an everyday working life with love-story.
It doesn't have fantasy and it seems the main characters are not acting.
It's like watching their everyday life, because of the carefree expression,
especially Ryusei has made.


Mashiba Kurumi (Kawaguchi Haruna), sometimes being called Mameshiba Mashiba,
is a social media worker for her company, el Arco Iris.
Her life had been focused on receiving more likes for her social media
and couldn't see the real thing in front of her.
She had feelings for her current boss, Hayama Shogo (Mukai Osamu).
But suddenly, Shogo disappeared after resigning from el Arco Iris.
Kurumi now lives in the sharehouse together with Fujino Shun (Yokohama Ryusei),
a mobile bar owner who cooks only for himself,
his cousin Terai Haruto (Maruyama Ryuhei) an online counselor,
and the mysterious lady Hase Ayaka (Nakamura Anne).
The sharehouse was originally Saotome Koko's house (Natsukawa Yui).
She made it into a sharehouse where she lives with the people she have met before,
while she must go (for what I forgot?).
Not only with three people, Kurumi is also living with the dog, Kouji.

Look at how cute Ryusei carried Kouji after its jump.

The story depicting our busy everyday life and the needs of social media.
Shun is different than Kurumi, who uses her phone 24 hours a day.
Shun doesn't want to be ruled by social media or anything.
But can Kurumi change his selfish personality,
and can Shun change her busy mode?
 Where is Shogo now?
We will see more along with the drama.




03. Oh! Master


I must say that I watch it for Nana from After School.
She is a pretty woman with big smile.
But Lee Min Ki is also a good actor for romcom.

Han Bi Soo (Lee Min Ki) is a cold and selfish horror film scriptwriter.
One day, he died after a car accident.
But his life was saved for temporary time.
During his limited time, he fell in love with the actress, Oh Joo In (Nana),
and under some circumstances, they lived together.
He also found sad stories of his life.
Bi Soo's mother has pancreatic cancer and his father is not his real father.
Meanwhile, Joo In is also suffering because her mother has alzheimer
and sometimes will forget about her own daughter, after the death of Joo In's father.
These two people, connected with sad stories.
Will they find happiness in the end?
Because Bi Soo only have least than two months to live.


I'm pretty annoyed when I reached episode 7 or 8.
There, Oh Joo In was confused if she love Bi Soo or her childhood friend,
the rich Jung Yoo Jin (Kang Min Hyuk).
But I'm glad it was settled quickly in 2 episodes.
I'm a bit confused if the writer wanted to make it a comedy or tragedy.
Because the comedy only lasts for a few minutes each episode.
And the rest of it, in about an hour, the drama is full of sad feelings of dying.
I'm so sad looking at Bi Soo and Joo In's mothers.
The two of them have their own illnesses and
are struggling for their child's happiness too.
Also, Bi Soo's working time is confusing.
He meant to write the script faster so he live in Joo In's house.
But there were many distracting moments to make it longer.
But I will keep watching for the sake of the mothers...
I like them so much and nowadays, as I'm getting older,
I'm also worrying so much of my parents health.


 
04. So I Married an Anti-Fan (UPDATE 15 MAY 2021)
 
 
I didn't know why I picked this.
But it seems cheerful and fun.
Though I believe it is not as comical as I thought.
This series is based on novel.
And even though I heard SNSD so much,
I have never knew Choi Soo Young before.
Please note that I can't remember SNSD personnel
because I don't listen to K-music especially idol so much.
She is not as popular as Yoona, Seo Hyun, Jessica etc.
And I now know why.
Her face is not as unique as the other,
and I can't differentiate her from many actresses.
But she performs well in this series.


Lee Geun Young (Soo Young) was kicked from her career and home
because she hated the famous star Who-joon (Choi Tae Joon).
Who-joon is also suffered from his lost from his friend and beloved woman.
Both Geun Young and Who-joon hated each other.
Until their condition changed because of a TV program, So I Married an Anti-Fan.
The two people who hate each other are being screened
so they can talk and build good relationship.
Both Geun Young and Who-joon agreed to do the show.
Will their relationship improved?


The film is okay.
But I feel there is something missing.
It is not as funny as I thought it would be.
Maybe because the producer is not good at creating humorous scene?
Some scenes are boring, but it's watch-able.
I will continue watching this as I am waiting for My Roommate is a Gumiho.
I don't read the webtoon yet though.
But I hope it will be good because I like Jang Ki Yong's acting so much.



05. My Roommate is a Gumiho (UPDATE 30 MAY 2021)


Another webtoon to drama adaptation.
The story takes place about a male Gumiho, Shin Woo Yeo (Jang Ki Yong),
who has a wish to become human by changing his bead from red to blue
before reaching nine tails (1000 years old).
After arriving in the present day, he met Lee Dam (Hyeri),
a university student who accidentally ate his bead.
To prevent the bead from getting worse, Woo Yeo suggested Lee Dam
to live with him in his mansion.
At first, Lee Dam was scared of everything Woo Yeo did,
considering he is a non-human.
But in episode 2, she begins to accept his stiff behavior and wish.
Their relationships might change in the third episode,
because Woo Yeo is interested in Lee Dam.
 
 
As a person who keeps Gumiho's bead, Lee Dam can't get near any man
who is born in the year of tiger.
She avoid many people for that, or she will get sick.
One of the man she avoid is Gye Sun Woo (Bae In Hyuk).
But it was something that made Sun Woo interested in her
since no woman had avoided him so far.
Later, Woo Yeo also told Lee Dam to not eat chicken and drinking alcohol,
while she made him suffered from stopping tobacco.
 

First episode was boring.
I could not laugh at all, but it was supposed to have comedy.
And Jang Ki Yong's acting was stiff,
it was not cold but stiff.
Hyeri also is staring a lot to the camera, which is not cute at all.
But my impression changed on the half of second episode.
There was a scene when Lee Dam suffered a lot
from clogged toilet and that was very funny!
I hope the drama will maintain such kind of scene.
As of now, the story is too cliche but I will continue watching
because I'm interested of Woo Yeo and Lee Dam's relationships later.
I'm watching it normally for fun.




 

I think that's all for the dramas I'm watching this season.
I will update again if I have more things to watch.
For anime, I mostly anticipating Mashiro no Oto.
It is an anime about Tsugaru Shamisen.
The hero used Tsugaru dialect, similar to Natsuzora.
The anime uses different shamisen notes in every episode.
And I'm pretty thankful that the producer also created simpler note
for the newbie hero (compared to his grandfather).
Most film uses the same notes for the music,
either the character can play it well or not, they look about the same.
But Mashiro no Oto made another note and the differences
could be heard well!
And the dialogues in it are touching, like a poem (uta).
 
 Another series are Mars Red (I plan to drop it after one more episode
because of too many wasted dialogues), Fruits Basket the Final (Although
I have gotten bored and just waiting for Kureno's happiness, he's my favorite), Koi
to Yobu ni ha Kimochi Warui (a josei romance, rare in anime and do-M male lead
reminds me of "Kono Otoko ha Jinsei Saidai no Ayamachi desu"),
and Seijo no Maryoku ha Bannou desu (this is actually boring
for first episodes but grows cuter, I also read the manga) .
Don't forget the second season of Yuukoku no Moriarty,
where I found it amusing hearing about James Bond in Sherlock Holmes' era.
The series is pretty much changing histories...
A messed-up history in it.
That's all for my review!

You May Also Like

0 Comments