Home

Reviews

About Me

2 Years Ago in Japan...

by - 2/20/2022 12:21:00 AM

 I miss Japan so much.
It has been more than two years since I went there.
Since COVID 19, Japan banned foreign travellers to go there
except for business / study purposes.
In November 2019, autumn, was my first time travelling to Japan
with my mother and younger sister, my father didn't go.
There was no tour guide, well except near Fuji cause of minimum transportation.
I was too tired writing and thinking of my itinetary so I had decided to fill
a hard to go trip as easy as it could.
From Tokyo to Fuji should be done by bus, but I was too lazy searching for the right bus.
In this post, I will re-cap my trip to Japan two years ago.
I have good memories, so while I still remember them, I want to write my experience.
This post has many pictures.


I chose November because it was the right time to see autumn color.
I went to Korea in spring 2019, so it's perfect to see Japan in autumn.
Of course at first, I really want to see sakura in Japan.
But with the time changing and becoming an adult, I would prefer autumn more.
Mid to late November is the best time to see leaf changing color in Japan.
So I was glad to receive a cheaper airplane price during November 13th-23rd, 2019.
I got a special price of only Rp 4.162.500,- per person including return ticket!!
It's about USD 287 with ANA!
My father didn't want to go so we left him at home with my two dogs and one bunny.


I was the one who made the itinetary for everything.
I had made it since a few years back, maybe 3 years before 2019.
And when I finally had the chance to go, I was very happy to re-write it more.
My itinetary consists of sceneries and villages so don't expect it will be a high budget trip.
I love Japanese village atmosphere and that's the only thing that came to my mind.
Even until now, I would do the same kind of itinetary if I ever have the chance again.
Just a few changes in town and countryside name.
 

The trip was supposed to be for 5 people, including two of my sister's friends.
I had done that in my trip to Hong Kong and Macao and
had known them very well for years since my sister was in high school.
But they canceled the ticket one month before departure due to money tight.
One of them already made a trip to Korea and China
for a week in one year so she couldn't go.
The other didn't go because it would be boring without the other friend.
Though I was glad I went there in late 2019 because after that, COVID-19 came.


Below, I will put summary and a few stories about my trip to Japan.
It will be a long story, so skip it if you don't want to read
or if you think this story is not important.
I wrote this because I wanted to remember them and I hope it can help
the people who wish to go there and writing their own itinetary.
And for information, I can speak Japanese a little bit so daily conversation is okay.
 
The street in Japanese villages are what makes me love them so much.
I devoted my trip to see the difference of Japanese village / town.
With kind spirit and historical structure, I love the culture of Japan.
 
 


DAY 1 NOVEMBER 13, 2019 (HANEDA, OSAKA : DOTONBORI)

Night flight and bare face.
 
1. Arrived in Haneda airport around 7 AM. A night trip from Jakarta with ANA for 8 hours. It was a nice trip since ANA have clean toilet with bidet. But I only slept for 4 hours. I booked the plane with Traveloka. We supposed to change JR pass after arrival, but my mother and sister had a long time in the airport toilet (o-tearai in Japanese). It took almost an hour for them to do cleaning while making me wait for the luggage alone. After that, we didn't have breakfast (because the airplane already gave it before arrival) and went straight to JR counter office. There was a long line and we changed JR pass an hour after that. Since the trip was made by only women, we almost lose all energy there.
 
2. After exchanging JR pass, the three of us bought IC card ICOCA near the JR pass counter and went to Shinagawa Station. Because after arriving in Tokyo, we must go to Osaka first by shinkansen. At Shinagawa station, my sister and I bought bento and fruits sandwhich at one of the store inside the big station, Marchen (Spelled meruhen in Japanese). We ate them in shinkansen but sadly, we couldn't find seat with Mt. Fuji view. But because we were so tired, we slept for 1-2 hours.
 
Two adult women at bento shop in Shinagawa Station.
I used the glasses here for the first and last time during the trip
since I also brought softlens with me.
I didn't have any time to put it after arrival, so chose to bring glasses instead.
But most of time, I still could read directions without any lens.
I didn't use lens everyday, maybe just 3-4 days.
 
3. The shinkansen trip took us about 3 hours with very tight schedule. Arrived in Shin Osaka station and spent 30 minutes to search for the designated hotel near it (also bought IC card SUICA in Osaka). At first, I already booked Sarasa Hotel, only 10 minutes from Shin Osaka station by walking. But the trouble came when I booked only for two people. Japanese won't allow too many person inside the hotel without booking a proper room. I spent a waste of 30 minutes talking with the female receptionist who couldn't speak English properly. She often used phone translator even though I could understand a little bit of Japanese and finally,  I cancelled the room because there was no more room available with proper price for three people. Then, my sister recommended another hotel without online booking near Sarasa, which is not near. The three of us walked crossing train railways etc. with our one suitcase plus a backpack each, asked two hotels manually but no cheaper room. We even met a weird male receptionist who couldn't speak English and got mad at us for asking price (I really wanted to shout at him like this "bakayarou!-stupid"). Whew, I wonder if he's a real Japanese or Chinese people working there. Please notice that my mother was already 68 years old back then. Such a good thing she could still walk with luggage in another country. After two hours, I booked another hotel, one station away from Shin Osaka, Hotel Consort through booking.com, for three people in one room. We finally had a proper and nice hotel for 6 days!

The Cafe Veloce in front of Hotel Consort.
Never went there though since we always gone outside before it was opened
and we were in a rush to sleep after washing off.

4. It was already 6 PM after cleaning up at Hotel Consort. Only took 3 minutes walking to nearby station from the hotel, Nishinakajima Minamigata Station, and one station away to Shin Osaka. A very tired experience with the previous receptionist before. But we decided to stroll in Dotonbori. It was already dark outside after 6.30 PM. After arriving in the shopping street, we went to Daiso store nearby, a snack purchase and all. Finally, we arrived near the river, around Glico LED. My mother chose to sit near the river, while my sister and I took a stroll to WE-GO (fashion outlet) in front of Glico sign.
 
I look very tired.
8 hours flight, 3 hours shinkansen, two hours walking searching for hotel...

Blending in the crowd of Osaka people.
 
After taking a few pictures, my sister bought takoyaki while I sat down beside my mother. A young man came to me and asked if I would play with him and since I'm his type (hey, isn't this called "Nanpa"-flirting?). I talked back in Japanese that I didn't come from Japan, but from Indonesia with my mom beside me. He laughed and prayed for us for happiness. What a nice guy! But it's a little funny since he always talked in front of my ear very close to my face (what, did he want to pretend as a host or something?). My mother didn't understand any of it and just smiled at us 😂. Too bad I didn't take his picture back then, but it must be rude. After eating takoyaki and taiyaki there, we went back to the hotel because tomorrow will be another tiring day.




DAY 2, NOVEMBER 14, 2019 (OSAKA : UNIVERSAL STUDIOS JAPAN)


1. Who is the weird person which put USJ on the first day trip! That's me!!! Usually, a big moment and memorable place should be placed at the end. But I'm the person who takes care of everything carefully. After looking at weather reports two months before departure, I had a positive feeling it would be sunny. Plus, it would be tired to put USJ on the last day in Osaka. So I chose the first day! 😋

2. Arriving in USJ before 12 AM. I already booked the ticket with KLOOK, no need to wait a long line. Only took 15 minutes of waiting to go inside! Also, because it was a weekday, we didn't need express pass. Bought a Minion Pao, filled with custard cream inside. Arriving in Harry Potter's park, I bought butter beer and the glass set. The butter beer tasted sweet, different from the soda I had drink before. Maybe thanks to the something creamy on top of it. Surprisingly, I like it so much despite it's only a soda, and I don't like drinking soda. There was also a choir played near the castle. A few strolling in the shop, but we didn't buy the wand. No need for it. After that, of course Harry Potter VR, only wait about 45 minutes. But too bad, my sister needs to go to the toilet right before we entered the castle. So only me and mom experienced the Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. Could not take a picture there because all Japanese attractions' theme park did not allow to take pictures and videos. The experience was pretty good, we saw Harry Potter's world like using the real wand to fly. A bit scary though, but mom could handle it.

I took this with my Sony a5100.
Only used in a few pictures, such a waste to bring it even though the result was great.
And I lost my lens cover too after arriving home.

Butterbeer in a glass.
Yeah, I bought the glass for souvenir although I don't know for what.
It's expensive since the glass is not made from glass, a plastic glass.
But Thank God it's not heavy or it will ruin my suitcase weight (most of them are cosmetics).

I don't know what its name, but this is delicious!
The scent of baked and meat inside.
It made mom bought this because we're sitting near the carriage.

3. A few strolling around USJ, the Minion Park and Despicable Me:Minion Mayhem attraction with full family members. My sister could finally experience VR without glasses 😁. The Minion attraction only took 20 minutes waiting. Cool! We also bought a few USJ snacks.

I only have two pictures of my family together since we didn't ask people to take it.
And that was only in USJ.
The other pictures were only myself.
My sister had lost her phone and her pictures of USJ because of a thief...
 
4. At night, there would be the first day of Christmas stage musical, The Crystal Promise inside the park. It used Japanese language but I understood it. The story is about two children meeting again after making a promise under the Christmas tree. A simple story but ended with fireworks. Then, we quickly went to Wizarding World of Harry Potter area again to see the night illumination of dancing at the Christmas ball. Around 7 PM, I went back to the hotel, arrived around 8 PM. The next day will be a tight morning schedule to other city with shinkansen. It is what I dream of when I go to Japan. No need to buy things too much, but experiencing every countryside of Japan. I love countryside! Oh right, since we used shinkansen, we must chose seat first after arriving in Shin Osaka Station.

The Crystal Promise stage.

Wizarding World of Harry Potter's Illumination.



DAY 3 NOVEMBER 15, 2019 (KYOTO : FUSHIMI INARI, ARASHIYAMA, GION)


1. Right in the morning, we took the shinkansen to Kyoto for one hour. I was glad to stay in Hotel Consort because it's near the station (metro), only 2 minutes walking accross the street. Only took one train station to Shin Osaka Station, the place to ride shinkansen. And with JR Pass, everything was very convenient, no need to tap or buy ticket. The first place to visit is Fushimi Inari Taisha after arriving at Kyoto Station. Because it was still morning, around 10 AM, the place was empty. Only a few people walking through the red senbon torii gate. We tried washing hands on one of the temizuya (water basin in the Japanese shrine entrance).
 
So happy arriving at Fushimi Inari.
 
Using temizuya.
 
Then, we took a walk at the torii. But my mother felt tired so she sat down around the intersection. While I kept moving forward to the accessories store who sold shrine's keychain etc. with my sister. Though due to tight schedule, we couldn't pass the Yotsutsuji Intersection (it was supposed to be on my plan). But I'm glad I went down right away because after that, many visitors came including Japanese students and tourists from China. We took a short stroll again, doing a quick fortune telling (change the stick to fortune telling paper from one of the miko there), watched a little bit of praying duty by one of the Shinto priest (?), and then eating dango around the shopping street in front of Fushimi Inari. The three of us then came back to Kyoto Station to ride the train towards Arashiyama.

Not too many people in the morning.
A perfect time.

You will see many reflective's picture from my photos.
I like taking picture in Japan for this kind of bokeh (holy light).

The priest was reciting prayer.

2. In Arashiyama, I used Google Maps to find the exact spot. I planned to visit Togetsukyo Bridge through the bamboo forest. Nearby, I bought taiyaki at the store before the forest and it was delicious. Warm with sweetness from red bean paste inside filled my stomach in the cold late autumn weather. We found an interesting spot, a museum with antique black train (Sagano Torokko) outside the building. The name is 19th Century Hall SL & Piano Museum. But we didn't go inside. During our walk to bamboo forest, we reached Snoopy Chocolat (just walk in front of it and lamenting not to buy one year later) and Tenryuji Temple. Mom wanted to see the Tenryuji garden instead the bamboo forest, but I kept on walking. Too bad we got lost and didn't find Togetsukyo inside the forest and only found a cemetery. So we decided to go back because we should go to Gion after that. And we had a very tight schedule with shinkansen seating for 7.30 PM.
 
Tenryuji Temple, only passing by.
 
Lost in Arashiyama...
I mean, I couldn't find Togetsukyo...

3. Finally stepped in Gion! But we must cross the bridge around Kamo River through walking along Kawaramachi. I wonder if the bridge is called Shijo Ohashi. Took a walk for 30 minutes and we arrived at Kisshokaryo, a traditional dessert shop I found from wakuwaku. I really wanted to try its parfait for a few years ago before actually going to Kyoto, and the season is for kinako. Before that, we should wait inside the cafe for 20 minutes because of full customers and while waiting, I also found Indonesian tourist brought their baby there. At Kisshokaryo, every person must make an order. So I chose Kogashi Kinako Parfait Set with Warabi Mochi, my sister picked Kogashi Kinako no Hannari (a charcoal roll cake), and mom ordered an orange juice. Of course we shared, couldn't finish it alone (typical women). Everything was perfect, it's just that the parfait was a bit too sweet for me. But they were delicious.

Shijo Ohashi Bridge?


Kogashi Kinako Parfait Set with Warabi mochi.
Can add more kinako powder.
The best kinako flavour I have ever taste.

The roll cake my sister ordered.

The mini warabi mochi.
Soft and fluff and sweet.

After Kisshokaryo, I went to Gion Ninenzaka street. Because of a tiring day, mom wanted to ride on a bus or taxi. But after eating at Kisshokaryo, we had re-charged our energy and took a walk instead, about 20 minutes to Starbucks Ninenzaka! We were very tired and the street made of hill-like shape so we took a lot of time. We arrived at Starbucks Ninenzaka around 6 PM, but decided to only take a picture. After strolling around Ninenzaka, it's time to go back. But should take a walk again! So after crossing Kamo River, we took a rest while buying coffee from Tully's Coffee after crossing Shijo Ohashi Bridge.
 
Gion, night is the best time to feel the red-orange lights.
 
I love strolling around Japan's village rather than fancy outlet.
Kyoto is the best!

Kyoto night with busy traffic.

Disaster arise after that. We decided to take a shortcut to Kyoto Station by taking another small station instead. But the train kept on going without stopping at Kyoto Station even after 30 minutes had passed. We realized we rode on the wrong train directly to Osaka! It would took about an hour more to arrive in Osaka, so we stopped at nearby station, which was 7.15 PM. I asked a railway staff (I think it was Makino Station because my Google Maps pointed there while I was never stopped at random station) and he just told the exact same thing as my Google Maps. So whatever it is, I thought to continue riding the train until Osaka. It's just that, we wasted money about 800Yen to ride on local train instead of the shinkansen.
 
I think this is Makino Station?
Very few people even though it's only 7.15 PM...
 
We arrived at Osaka City Central Public Hall and got lost to search for metro station to our hotel. I asked a few Japanese there and finally found a man walking with his girlfriend. When I asked with Japanese language, he asked me instead "Eigo wakaru?-Do you know English?". Thankfully I understand about Eigo or I will be flustered. I said yes and he told me using English instead. What a kind person... Only walk straight for 2 minutes and found a nearby metro station and only needed 2 stations to the hotel. Safely arrived.
 

But I noticed my underwears, which I put in front of the bathroom floor, were missing. They were in a plastic bag. All my underwears were inside there from day 1. I thought the cleaning staff would keep it after cleaning my room. But I decided to ask in the next morning.



DAY 4 NOVEMBER 16, 2019 (KOBE : ARIMAONSEN, UMIE MALL)


1. I asked the receptionist about my lost underwears. With a mix of English and Japanese, the manager asked an old lady I noticed cleaning my room everyday. She didn't understand English but she told me she didn't see a plastic bag (she used word "vinyl" bag) in front of the bathroom. So I needed to wait until tonight to see if my underwear is safe or not. The first place I wanted to go when I made an itinetary is Arimaonsen! I don't need to experience onsen bath, but I like the scenery in Arimaonsen. That's why this place is my no.2 favorite place in Japan after Kyoto. I will go to Kyoto but I must go to Arimaonsen too.

2. To reach Shin Kobe Station, we  couldn't take a shinkansen, so took 20 minutes on local train. After that, used another local train for an hour with 3 times changing, spent about 2,000Yen with return ticket. Finally arrived in Arimaonsen! An old onsen town with calm atmosphere. I found a building with trees, reminded me of Ghibli.
 
 
Too bad there was a construction so we couldn't go down.

Nearby, we found an Arima special tansan senbei at Yunohanado Honpo. Lucky since I didn't made itinetary for it. The senbei cracker was soft before 5 seconds (but it's very hot) and changed to crunchy after it's colder. Too bad that the river was under construction so we couldn't go down. But we tried the Takenaka Meat Shop and ate udon set at Soba-ya Nakasa. We also tried the nerikiri manju in autumn momiji theme. The wagashi is well made, sweet and cold from the autumn weather. At Arimaonsen, we tried mitarashi dango and Arima Cider Teppo Water. The seller asked where did we come from and if it's a family trip. I think most countryside people are very warm to the outsider.
 
Yunohanado Honpo.
At noon, it was already packed with people like this.
 
Tansan Senbei.

But there was a time when we took a picture near Onsenji Temple together with Chinese tourists nearby. An old woman was talking to herself while going down the stairs, "Tsumaranai machi ni naru nee-This town becomes dull huh". I couldn't exactly heard it right, it could be a mistake. But I could feel her sense of hating too many tourists in the quiet town, especially near a temple. Because there were too many Chinese tourists, I also waited a long line to try the foot bath onsen Taiko no Ashiyu, near Kin no Yu Hotel. The next place to go is malls in Kobe near Kobe Harbourland. We rode on the Arima train (one and only train in Arimaonsen to reach Kobe city), but we thought it was a wrong train, so waiting for another train in 15 minutes... Outside, in a quiet place, cold, even the railway staff didn't go near us, but I was very happy. Arima had a good atmosphere and air.



Onsenji Temple.

Nerikiri autumn wagashi.


The only train to Arimaonsen!

Arima Cider!

Takenaka Niku!
We bought twice!
It is a beef minced cutlet.

3. Getting to Umie Mall through Duo Kobe. A small mall for JR station, selling cheap fashion and accessories. Mom bought a scarf there (for a long time picking) saying she always felt cold in Japan. Then, we took a walk around Umie. Well, it's just like any other mall so we didn't have any impression. But I noticed there was ABC Mart (shoes) selling Yokohama Ryusei's Converse All Star Leopard Series and took a picture (not purchasing them though since it's for male 😁). I wanted to go to Kobe Harbourland with ferris wheel, but my sister and mom were already tired, so we went back to Hotel Consort. There was a small problem when we were waiting for the return train to Shin Osaka Station. Mom forgot where she put the JR Pass and asked two women sitting nearby. We found the JR Pass in the other bench though, she forgot the exact bench even though only a few people at Kobe Station that night! When I arrived at the hotel, I asked the staff about my lost thing. But I only got a letter saying sorry in translated English (it was bad but I could read) that they couldn't find it. Nevermind that, I felt sorry for the old lady who clean our room everyday, so I didn't want to ask more. It was part of my fault that I put it on the floor. She might have trashed it because it was a hinder to walk. It was a small room for three people and more bags. Kobe trip is not as tiring as USJ and Kyoto.

Could see Kobe Port Tower from the mal.




DAY 5 NOVEMBER 17, 2019 (NARA : KOUFUKUJI TEMPLE, NARA PARK - OSAKA : UMEDA)


1. Get to Nara by local train since there is no shinkansen. It was Sunday, so we got a full packed train, mostly by old people. In the seat nearby, I could hear 3 or 4 grandmas were gossiping about their friend or the person they know. I feel satisfied that I understand Japanese so I know what the foreign people talk. Only got a seat after 40 minutes from an hour inside the train. We arrived at Nara Station and must walk to the shopping district where there is a famous Nakatanidou, a shop that sells yomogi mochi. It is famous because the owner is an award winning and often makes mochi in front of customers (they still do it until now wearing a mask), Nakatani Mitsuo. At first time reaching there, I bought the one pack mochi in ten pieces. Even though we were very tired walking, we could not sit near the shopping street... But the yomogi mochi filled our stomach very well and tasty! The red bean inside is sweet and fit our tongue. The mochi is very soft and sticky, similar to a dango.



Since yomogi or kusa mochi is made from mugwort leaves, the color is green.
Topped with kinako powder.

2. We continued walking outside Koufukuji Temple on the hill before Nara Park. But decided to reach Nara Park first because we love animals! There, the three of us tried to feed deers with shika senbei. But got scared by more deers coming all at once, especially with antlers. A few of them could bow before we feed them. Satisfied with the deers, we moved down to Koufukuji again. There were deers too, but we could not feed them at the temple. Only walking outside Koufukuji until we reach the shopping district again. But this time, we found Nakatani Mitsuo pounded mochi and took a video! Lucky! But we didn't buy twice since we still have the mochis. Instead, we ate snacks at the shopping district and mom bought oranges. I ate ice cream cone though, in the middle of cold. She was satisfied by the taste, which is not too sour. We also bought souvenirs at Nihon-shi Nara Sanjou-ten, because mom also love the deers (She called them Nabe, a wrong name because she had ate nabe hotpot before and the city is Nara. So she always calls the deers Nabe until now).

This is the calm before storm.

Became a disaster after bringing shika senbei!
We were so embarassed to be seen by people with aggressive deers.
Though nothing happened after the senbei had finished.

Koufukuji Temple.

This place is where I bought Nara souvenirs, Nippon Ichi Store.
Taken from Google maps.

3. After a leisure Nara travel, we went back to Umeda Station. But my sister notice she lost her deer souvenirs in the train to Osaka. We went to lost & found office at Umeda Station. Too bad that the staff wasn't too skilled using English so I helped my sister determined the exact train and time. Well, compared to my sister, I am more fluent in using Japanese to talk, although I don't know until what level since I have never taken any test. But later, she used it to talk with the kimono rental in Tokyo. Later... The lost & found staff told us to wait until the next morning to get information of my sister's lost item.

4. The only thing we could do is taking a walk around Umeda. We tried going to HEP FIVE, a mall with big red ferris wheel. Just purchasing a few cosmetics and sightseeing at Pokemon store. I wanted to buy clothes, but there was none to pick at some stores like nico and..., MURUA, earth music and ecology etc. In the end, I only bought a lens by Angelcolor review here. Turns out I should write an agreement to buy softlens in the store, if I feel irritation or whatever is not their fault. Then, we came back to Umeda Station, went to the building nearby, I think it's Daimaru but my sister had also forgot it. She went there to another Pokemon Center. While I went to Uniqlo but didn't find anything. We were so amazed by the lift. It goes up to floor 40++ in seconds and we didn't feel nauseous or anything, just like standing on the floor. After Daimaru, we bought Pablo at Umeda Station and it was more delicious than in Indonesia. But too bad, Pablo had closed all of its shop overseas.
 
Rarely took night picture because we always went back home around 8 PM.
Very tired walking from morning til night with tight schedule...

I don't know why this Pablo seems to have orange taste?
Still, it's delicious especially the tart part!



DAY 6 NOVEMBER 18, 2019 (NARA, OSAKA : LUCUA, AMERIKAMURA, NAMBA)


1. My first plan was to go to Osaka Castle and Kuromon Market, then to Shinsekai at night. But it was not a fixed plan and I actually didn't care much if we go there or not. Since my sister had lost her Nara's souvenir, we would go to Nara again this Monday and cancelled the Osaka Castle & Kuromon. The first thing is to ask the lost & found staff about it. The staff told us they had found but we must go to Nara again to retrieve it back. I actually like Nara compared to a castle, so even though it would be twice, it's okay. Moreover, my favorite singer, Kagimoto Akira from Lead's hometown is in Ikaruga Nara. I don't know the exact place, but Nara still holds something in my heart. While travelling to Nara, I noticed the train went through many houses and buildings in black roof, similar to many samurai castles I found on TV (Because Nara is the first capital of Japan). Compared to Osaka, which mostly already have modern type roof, Kobe with normal and small houses (mostly built small apartment too), and Kyoto with historical merry red / brown roof and houses made of wood, Nara's black roof and white wall gives the feelings of nobles in the past and strenght.

Lead, Akira is on the right.

2. Monday is more casual than Sunday. I could find many empty seats in the train. After arriving at Nara Station, my sister retrieved her souvenirs back. But it's a waste if we go back to Osaka after one hour journey. So we took a walk again around Nara shopping district, but we felt tired to hike to Nara Park. There, I tried eating the famous curry bread from Wakakusa Curry Honpo (which had sold out yesterday) and had lunch at Coco Ichibanya paid by my sister as a thanks for following her to Nara again. Had a satisfying meal and we love Coco Ichibanya now. Although the chain had opened in Indonesia, we hadn't come there before eating at Nara. Then, after feeling satisfied of Nara, we turned back to Umeda Station.

Wakakusa Curry Pan Medium Spicy.
It is not as spicy as I thought buy the bread is delicious and soft!

Today is all about kare!


This curry rice was mine with cheese.
Truthfully, I couldn't taste the cheese that well.
But it is not as spicy as it looks.

My sister ate this.
She likes sausage!

Mom chose this.
She doesn't like anything weird.

I bought ichigo daifuku there!
Taken from Google maps.

3. Bought clothes from GU LUCUA near Umeda Station. This is the first time purchasing clothes in Japan, because our plan is not about shopping. My itinetary consists of countries and villages of Japan, to know them better and meet warm and kind villagers.

4. Went to Amerikamura, the young place to hangout. But since it's Monday and a bit rainy, we couldn't find many people at the park. The place we visited was Suiyoubi no Alice / Alice on Wednesday, a souvenir shop selling Alice's accessories. The shop is unique, represents Alice's door. But the shop in Osaka is smaller than in Tokyo. There was a collab with Cardcaptor Sakura too when we arrived. I just bought a keychain since I don't use accessories. My sister bought a few things which I don't remember.

Amerikamura, the American style street.

Suiyoubi no Alice's entrance.



5. Continued to Namba, but not around Dotonbori. I forgot the exact place, but my sister left me and mom alone to buy her favorite dolls in the middle of rain. We couldn't follow her quick step, so we ate dinner at Yoshinoya nearby. Since only my sister brought the pocket wifi, we used SMS to contact each other and finally met again. It was supposed to be the last day trip in Osaka before Tokyo, but we couldn't go to Shinsekai. I got lost at the station because we rode in different route, then chose to go back to the hotel.




DAY 7 NOVEMBER 19, 2019 (TOKYO : KIYOSUMI SHIRAKAWA, SHINJUKU)



1. The last morning in Osaka. We emptied SUICA at Seven Eleven in Umeda Station to purchase a few snacks. Then, took a shinkansen to Tokyo Station. Of course another problem about hotel. I kept told my sister about changing the hotel, but she insisted to change at the day. So inside shinkansen, I was the only one who had trouble cancelling the booked hotel (I must cancel the classic Hotel Monterey La Soeur Ginza!) and changed it to another hotel which could accomodate us three in one room. After more than an hour, while my sister and mom sleeping, I finally booked a new hotel in Kiyosumi Shirakawa, MYSTAYS. I could finally sleep after that for only an hour. After arriving in Tokyo Station, we got lost searching for Metro line. A very tired day of bringing luggages (that's already twice the number), going up and down the stairs, and asking railway staffs. We were amazed after reaching Kiyosumi Shirakawa through Oedo Line, a very quiet town! The hotel was a bit far from nearest station, must walk 15 minutes (don't trust Google Maps, it said 8 minutes, but we are women with heavy luggages after more than a week walking).

The calm and quiet Kiyosumi Shirakawa.
I watched Ariyoshi-kun no Shoujiki Sanpo after coming back home.
It seems Kiyosumi Shirakawa is good at making woods and cafe.

MYSTAYS Kiyosumi Shirakawa.
Typical hotel in Japan, very small and narrow.

2. Decided to go sightseeing in Shinjuku at night. Upon going there, we noticed Kiyosumi Shirakawa is very quiet and dead, only crows singing at night. Very different with Hotel Consort, which had red light district nearby and a few drug and convenient stores. Seriously, Shinjuku station is big! We bought souvenirs at It's Demo. It's funny that I bought a cute Christmas card and saw the back of it after arriving home in Indonesia. It is made in Indonesia! With cheap price, the quality is more excellent at the same price I found in my country. And then, my sister brought us to anime store, 15 minutes walking from Shinjuku Station. I was tired waiting for her, so I brought mom to purchase hand cream at floor below. Then, we went back to hotel and was scared by the quiet Kiyosumi Shirakawa at night. Only crows singing, the sound of kitchenware (But I thought it's a warm kitchen since I hope to live in Japan someday, just a wish for another life), and then nothing no people. There's no interesting thing happened this day because it's a tired day to move from Osaka to Tokyo.

Late autumn night in Shinjuku, very tired with minimum clothes.
I had a slight fever the next morning (stupid me).



DAY 8 NOVEMBER 20, 2019 (TOKYO : UENO TO MT. FUJI)


1. I bought KLOOK voucher for a trip to Mt. Fuji. By this time, we couldn't use the 7 days JR Pass anymore so we used ICOCA instead. There were few places we can go by riding a tour bus with other people from different countries. I think most of the tour guides are Chinese or foreigners which can talk in Japanese, Chinese, English. First, we should gather at Ueno Zoo near JR Ueno Station. The autumn leaves are very pretty at Ueno. Then, we took a bus at nearby park, and 30 minutes after that, the bus stopped at convenient store to gather the second group. At the store, we purchased a few snacks to bring if we feel hungry.

Ueno, where ginkgo trees (ichou) turned yellow.

2. We could see Mt. Fuji even at riding the bus near Fuji-Q Highland. It was a perfect weather to go see Mt. Fuji. The bus was parking at the fartest place from Fuji 5th Station shopping center. But we had a nice Mt. Fuji's picture there and purchasing a few snacks. Though I met a annoying Chinese lady. She was talking for a long time with the tea staff (which gave us free tea to sample). I wanted to trash the paper cup but the lady kept on talking without giving me way, by herself alone. In the end, I threw it away in front of her. When I was at the cashier, she asked where did I come from and kept talking in Chinese I didn't understand (I only stayed quiet with a question mark while she kept babbling and could see the cashier was also in question mode). Maybe she thought I was rude but she's the rude one too without concern for other people. After that, we tried going alone to the shrine, Fuji-san Komitake Shrine, at the back of shopping center. And after taking a few pictures, we made a rush to the fartest bus. I felt weird since the tour guide only allowed us to sightseeing at quickest time without guide and without waiting. Moreover, I came with mom, who was 68 years old that time! The first place was safe and we could ride on the bus, although we only had 40-45 minutes at 5th Station.
 
Mission accomplished to see Mt. Fuji!
I don't know what I was thinking in the picture looking so happy with fever.
 
The small shrine Komitake was always full with tourists.

3. We had a lunch at Kawaguchiko Craft Park. Only the three of us didn't buy lunch at soba shop near it. But there was a festival there. A stall selling karaage, which is the best karaage I had eat in my life. I can't find the exact similar taste even now. It's like a homemade karaage but very tasty. Maybe because we ate it outdoor with cold weather and hot crunchy meat, and many kids playing around us. We are glad to eat it instead of a soba though. The autumn presence was strong there so we had taken many pictures.

The park that brings you to the unique world of reds!


Best spot to take pictures of the changing color.

4. The third place is around Lake Kawaguchi. We came to Oshino Hakkai, where there is a clean pond from Mt. Fuji's water. Again, we took 10 minutes walking to arrive at Oshino Hakkai from the bus (fartest parking place). My sister bought souvenirs and we got late to the bus (but it's only 10 minutes late!). The lady tour guide was a bit angry and asked where we were from (I'm sure she's Chinese), but half of it was my sister's fault. So I couldn't argue. Moreover, I had a sore throat and a mild fever since morning (had taken medicine). I think 40 minutes (with 10 minutes walking to and from bus) is not a good time to enjoy the view and purchase souvenirs! I wonder why the other tourists at our bus could arrive exactly on time. Maybe they didn't like the view very much? And we're the only group with senior age.


5. The last stop is Gotemba Premium Outlet. My family didn't care much about fashion and mom was tired so she stayed at the bus. Together with my sister, we took a step down from parking lot, which gave us about 5 minutes walking (again fartest parking place), and went to the toilet first. Seeing the toilets were all broken and couldn't give water to wash off, I didn't want to use them and kept on walking around. We were just strolling without purchasing anything and after 30 minutes, we came back to the bus. Then, a few tourists in our bus ride on it too after almost an hour. The bus went back to Tokyo Shinjuku safely around 8 PM. Because we didn't prepare for dinner, we only bought bento from the station.




DAY 9 NOVEMBER 21, 2019 (TOKYO : MEIJI JINGU, TAKESHITA, SHIBUYA, AKIHABARA)


1. In the morning, we took a walk in Kiyosumi Shirakawa calmly. My fever had gone so it's a beautiful day to take a stroll of Tokyo after Mt. Fuji yesterday. Even though it's already 10 AM, we couldn't find any noise in the neighborhood. As we walked passed a somewhat of elementary school, it was very quiet. It's November so I don't think they have a holiday. What a weird town? I even had the urge to have breakfast nearby but there was no shop opened in the morning (and at night, I think they're closed before 7-8 PM).

2. Arrived at Yoyogi Park. We had a long walk from the back of Yoyogi Park straight to Meiji Jingu Shrine, took 30 minutes with mom (it would be faster if I was alone). Of course we didn't go inside the shrine, only at the big field between the main shrine and the entrance gate. Just taking pictures there, and noticed that Japan is really a nation where sun rises. The pictures taken were reflecting sunlight and made somewhat a halo light bokeh or rainbow-colored lights. Really love the brightness in Japan! One of my office friend, who is a freelance photographer, told me that all of his photographer friends like Japan for taking picture because of the light. After taking enough pictures, we walked to the entrance while amazed at the flower decorations there (or is it from a contest?) and a miniature village contest.

Trees of Yoyogi Park.

Meiji Jingu Shrine.
Sunny day.
 
I love playing with the reflection from sunlight!
Meiji Jingu was the best shot I got like this.
Imagine I was inside the holy light bubble.

3. Across Meiji Jingu gate, it is Harajuku Takeshita Street. But it's the next destination. We went straight up more to Shibuya Maison Able Cafe Ron Ron. It is an all you can eat dessert cafe. For 40 minutes only spent 2,100Yen with one bottle of flavour drink. The desserts are very cute and worth the money. We took many pictures of the food. Not all food is dessert. There is also baked rice and potato. Our stomach were filled in a fitting proportions. Since the foods are small, it doesn't become too full but perfect. From Cafe Ron Ron, we got Frozen II sticker since it's the time it was showed in Japan.

Waiting for the cafe to open.
But it didn't take long.
The decoration is very girly. 
Sorry, didn't wear something girly.😊



Worth the money!!!
This cuteness...
 
4. Went to Harajuku again to let the food down. Since it was weekday, the place was not in pack full of people. We had a good time shopping in Daiso, had Croquant Chou Zakuzaku as snack. But realizing that we had eaten all you can eat, we couldn't eat more although I felt interested for Marion Crepes. Came to Tokyu Plaze Omotesando for sightseeing the reflective entrance. There was Frozen II themed cafe but I was worried we must reserve first. And moreover, already eating too much.


Croquant Chou Zakuzaku, a crunchy choux.

5. After Harajuku, the next destination was Shibuya Hachiko Statue and Shibuya Scramble. We took pictures at Hachiko Statue and thankfully, it did not need a long time. After taking pictures at Hachiko, the next photo spot is the crossroad in front of Shibuya 101. Since it's packed of people who wanted to cross, we could not take many pictures. Then, we took a rest on the bench near Hachiko. My plan was to go to Shibuya 101 but either mom or my sister wanted to go shopping there. Well, my sister was more interested to buy dolls at Akihabara rather than clothes, so we went there next. What a real otaku...

Looking at Shibuya scramble behind me...

6. This is not an itinetary for women. But whatever. I found Akihabara Station has the worst toilet, especially for women. It was still an old, washiki style and smelly. Mom and sister were in a hurry to use it, but I couldn't. I tried drinking Dr. Pepper because of watching Steins Gate. The taste was...similar to every soda I had drank. We went to one of Animate store (or is it Animate?). I bought Natsume Yuujinchou Steam Cream there. When we finally had reached every floor, we decided to go downstair by lift. A man was talking by himself with moe (cute) tone, as if he's speaking with someone else. Was it a weird otaku? Who knows... This is Japan.

I'm sorry weird people in the surroundings (but my sister is also weird).
Look at that man in red clothes...
But I don't know why I feel very safe in Akihabara.
Maybe because those men likes 2D?


Then, my sister went alone to a doll shop while my mom and I were walking inside Don Quijote. Because she was very late, we decided to eat at Carls Jr. nearby. I thought of eating katsu nearby, but my sister was very late. She took about 1,5 hours alone! My mom and I were waiting outside Don Quijote for a long time in the cold... When she finally arrive (of course after purchasing dollfie or whatever it is), she chose not to eat at Akihabara and went back to hotel instead, eating convenience store bento. All for dolls.

The electric town at night.



DAY 10 NOVEMBER 22, 2019 (TOKYO : KIMONO RENTAL AT ASAKUSA, NAKAMISE)


1. Surely, it is not the only plan I have. But you will see why. I wrote my itinetary to go to Ueno to see autumn trees and Yanesen (Yanaka, Nezu, Sendagi) to buy amezaiku, but there was a big problem. Even I could not go outside the kimono rental shop.

2. The kimono shop was located at the front of Asakusa near Burger King. I forgot the shop name and could not find it anymore in my Booking lists on Klook. If you cross the street, you can find Nakamise Shopping Street. But after we were prepared to go out with kimono, it was raining a lot! Earlier, it was a small rain but then it became stronger with cold wind. We couldn't dare make it dirty, or we will be charged more for cleaning. We could only hope the rain will stop, but even after 30 minutes taking pictures on the lobby of the building, the rain hadn't stop. The remaining plan was to take pictures at the property inside the kimono rental and we were satisfied for only an hour wearing it. It's just that, too bad we could not walk outside with kimono.

This is the kimono rental shop, behind Burger King.
If you look closely, the second floor (pict 2) had kimono posters.
Look at the stone wall closely.

The wall inside is the same right?
I don't know if the building is right, but looking at them, I think it's the right building.
Truthfully, I wanted to wear dark colored kimono, such as navy.
But they didn't have such color with nice pattern.
Pink is too boring for me.
Because of the rain, we only took pictures at the lobby...

Only did indoor photography...
What a waste! 😔

My younger sister chose the color I wanted.
Hmm, not exactly, but at least she wore the darker color.
I want to look mature in dark color too! 😋 
Part of it was my mom's choice, so I wore pink.

3. The rain didn't stop and just getting colder. After changing back to our original clothes, the three of us crossed the street to Nakamise under heavy rain. I could definitely saw my breath from coldness while crossing the street and saw the weather that it was 7C at noon! I didn't prepare clothes for cold weather like that, only for autumn season around 15C. So we were trembling a bit but taking a walk help to make it warmer. At Nakamise, we took a stroll a bit and had a lunch at a restaurant that seems full. Might be delicious, but didn't know the name. I had a lunch set of katsu with miso soup. My sister chose udon but it was not really delicious compared to Marugame in Indonesia. But we had a satisfied lunch. After eating and doing shopping a bit, we arrived at Kaminarimon, but had decided to take two pictures without my sister and went home because our return plane would be the first thing in the next morning. We could not dare to get sick or being too tired because I planned to wake up at 5 AM. If it's me, I would add Rp 200.000 (1,500Yen) more and return with the last plane at night. But since the plan was made with my sister's friends originally, uh... Goodbye Yanesen....

Since the area is outdoor, it is a bother to walk under heavy rain.
 This picture was taken when the rain got slower a bit.
 
The meal I had at Asakusa.

4. When we arrived at the train station in Kiyosumi Shirakawa, the cleaning service was busy sweeping water that came in from above. I thought it would be a storm because the wind was very strong too. Bought last snacks to buy as souvenirs at Lawson near hotel. The cashiers were laughing a bit at us (I could see them) because of large amount of snacks by foreign tourists. Then, arrived at hotel around 3 PM. Mom went to sleep after washing off. My sister and I wanted to go outside but we couldn't leave mom alone so the only thing to do was watching Music Station through hotel TV (a long program more than one hour). We are tired and slept early around 11 PM. The temperature that night was 5C, trembling inside the blanket even though there is a heater (remember that we only bring normal clothes for autumn and most of that were already used, we didn't wash it until home).

Only eating and eating until I fell asleep.
Meiji Essel Super Cup Rare Cheese is my favorite ice cream.
I bought this a few times.

Mt. Fuji Baumkuchen.
Actually just a normal cake.



DAY 11 NOVEMBER 23, 2019 (FROM HANEDA TOKYO-TO JAKARTA)

1. I woke up first before 5 AM and it was still raining slowly outside. We were preparing our luggages. Now there were two suitcases (1 big and 1 small) for each my sister and I, plus one backpack. Mom only brought 1 suitcase and her own bag. Even until 6 AM, the rain didn't stop so we must kept walking to the airport. The receptionist below hadn't come so I just put the key back at a box. We took a walk outside and was afraid of light rain. But when we saw a business man kept walking through the rain energetically (but he only brought 1 small suitcase!), we powered up and started walking to the station (Oedo Line) nearby under the rain and dark sky (it was still very dark in the morning and rain). Only the sound of our suitcase wheel.

2. Safely arrived at Oedo Line Metro. But we must exchange train twice more. So after getting to Daimon Station, like Google Maps suggested, we must find Rapid Limited Express to Haneda Airport. There were many stairs to reach above from the underground station. When we finally reached the lobby, we got lost a bit. We were supposed to get to Rapid train straight in front of Daimon Station, but we turned left. The rain was getting bigger like a tornado 😓 with strong wind. We were both very wet from the rain. Thankfully, a staff (or was he a police officer?) helped us getting to the station nearby. He asked me with Japanese language about where did we come from, and if we used airplane (hikouki) while helping us and was walking together. After saying thanks, we got inside a building and went to second floor to reach the station. It was why we didn't get the maps. The station was inside a building and not underground! If I must go again, I think I have forgotten the way since it's raining a lot and we got someone's help. Gosh, what a disaster in the last day. I swear I can't find it anymore, even through Google Street View. But we met a kind old man. I'm glad I met a kind Japanese even in my last day.

This is the result of heavy rain, not to mention our clothes got wet.

3. We were waiting for the Rapid Limited Express train to airport. I think international airport is terminal 3? Correct me if I'm wrong. Looking at the tight schedule and long waiting line, we changed to got inside a wrong train! The train was supposed to go to terminal 2 for domestic. If we want to get to terminal 3, we must get on a bus and will take more time to ask people there at terminal 2. So the only thing to do for us was to get out in the next station, which was Oikeibajo-mae Station. We took 10 minutes waiting for the next train to Haneda terminal 3, while smelling horse. We considered it is near a horse farm and it turns out almost true. The station was near a horse racing place to bet. I also found a train with Pokemon drawing stopped there. After riding on the next train, thankfully it's the right train, we arrived at Haneda Airport around 8.30 AM. When arriving, our clothes had dried up. Maybe because of the strong wind near Oikeibajo-mae? Seriously, it's only 30 minutes after we got lost at Daimon.

The Pokemon train I saw at Oikeibajo-mae Station.

The last picture I took of Japan at Oikeibajo-mae.
I didn't have mood to take picture at the airport after a very long journey.

4. Well, we could still walk freely inside Haneda duty free. Buying more Pocky to bring to the office, Tokyo Milk Cheese Cookies, and some Japanese magazine with free items (I found Ishihara Satomi in the cover). The plane was supposed to depart at 11 AM, but when we were waiting for the gate to be opened, right at 11 AM, there was an announcement that it got delayed. Maybe it's due to heavy rain and traffics. Just right after the announcement, all ANA's crews were bowing down to us customers. A good example of omotenashi. We were waiting about an hour and finally got to stand up for the waiting line, Of course it's a bit late and I felt tired standing too. But finally, the plane took off quickly after all was settled. Arrived safely in Indonesia at 8 PM so tired and waiting for luggages until 9 PM or so.






It is the end of my 2019 travelling story.
After that, we have COVID-19 banned to Japan.
I am glad to go there once in my life and hope to go again one day.
If I have more time to go, I wish to have a nice stroll around Tokyo.
And maybe the next third trip will be Hokkaido.
But...
I'm also interested in Switzerland...
Sigh, if only there is no Covid-19.


We wouldn't get lost in Japan this days.
There is Google Maps, the holy encyclopedia, translator on phone (though I didn't use it),
and Google Lens to tell you the exact place / thing by taking pictures.
Japanese are also fond of English language now.
Most of younger people have already learnt English, especially in big city.
And smartphone users could use phone translator (like Sarasa Hotel Staff).
And if not, try learning simple Japanese yourself.
I think Japanese language is more simple than Chinese.
I can talk freely without tone, although most Kanji can be read differently too.
At least to the level of talking daily is okay,
My sister is not as fluent to speak Japanese as me.
But she could answer the kimono rental staff when asking her.
She also didn't study to write, but use Google translator instead.
What an easy world.


Of course Korea is cheaper than Japan.
I wish to bring mom to Korea one day, she wants to go with me truthfully.
I and my sister had a bonus trip to Korea from our different office, spring 2019.
Of course couldn't bring mom with my office friends.
Three days after my sister came back, I went to Korea next.
It was funny and unpredicted, but were glad to be able to go to foreign countries.
I hope I can go to Japan once or more...
This is a very late trip story, but I still remember every part of Japan.
Meanwhile, I almost forgot the time I spent in Hongkong. 😋
Maybe because it took me a long time to plan itinetary (for years) and I remember most of them.





You May Also Like

0 Comments